Rubber bands allow for upper and lower teeth to move into alignment. Sometimes it is not possible to adjust only the wires in order to cause the teeth to move as they should. The elastics are connected to specific teeth to move them in a planned direction. Our No. 1 goal is to give you the best smile possible in the shortest time. Your cooperation in wearing your elastics as instructed will help achieve this goal. Not wearing elastics can result in treatment taking longer than expected and may affect treatment results.
At the completion of the active phase of your orthodontic treatment, you begin the period we call retention. If we did not try to retain the teeth following the orthodontic movement, they would tend to move back to their original position.
To retain your teeth and maintain your beautiful new smile:
- Your retainers may seem awkward in your mouth for a few days. Give yourself time to get used to them.
- Wear your retainers while you sleep unless instructed otherwise by Dr. Jones or Dr. DeShon.
- Use a wet toothbrush to clean your retainer.
- The safest place for your retainer is in your mouth or put away in your plastic container.
- DON’T leave your retainer in a hot place such as the glove compartment or in direct sunlight. It will melt.
- DON’T leave your retainer lying around the house. Pets and children can be curious.
- ALWAYS bring your retainer to each appointment.
- After two to three years of sleep-time wear, continue wearing your retainers at least once a week at night.
If you lose or break your retainer, please notify our office immediately so that we can replace it as soon as possible. Additional charges will apply to help cover our cost for replace or repair.
If you have scars on your teeth from improper brushing, you should continue to use a fluoride rinse daily. Rinse with the fluoride for one minute after brushing thoroughly, then do not rinse out with water, eat or drink for at least an hour. Bedtime is a good time for a fluoride rinse.
Continue to see your general dentist every six months and follow instructions for brushing and flossing.
We will advise you about your wisdom teeth before we finally let you go. Sometimes we like to leave the wisdom teeth for a while to help us with retention of your teeth. PLEASE LET US HELP MAKE THE DECISION ABOUT YOUR WISDOM TEETH!
If you have an accident involving changes in your teeth, make an appointment to come see us.
ONLY PROVIDERS IN THE REGION ENDORSED BY INVISALIGN TO TREAT TEENS
Martinsville, VA 24112
Danville, VA 24541
Stuart, VA 24171